Aug 10, 2011

Representative David Simpson: Protecting Americans First


from: Texas GOP Vote


It is no secret that Texas is in a budget crisis like other states in America today.  It was at one of these budget discussions concerning proposed cuts for homes of people with Developmental Disabilities where I first met Representative David Simpson.  Budget cuts had been made affecting the healthcare of the people living in these homes, and I had gone to speak on behalf of them against further budget cuts.

The host of the meeting was still in the process of introductions and welcoming everyone there when Mr. Simpson arrived.  He slipped into the room unnoticed by most and sat down next to me.  Being from Texarkana, I had no idea who the man sitting next to me was.  We passed a basic greeting of “hello” before he asked me to confirm that this was the meeting for the proposed budget cuts.  I told him it was and figured he was another healthcare provider there to state his case against the proposed cuts.

By luck of having arrived first and signed the list first, I was allowed to present my case or presentation first.  I took the podium and informed the group why healthcare cuts against people with Developmental Disabilities would be devastating to the people, the caregivers, and the providers trying to maintain a positive quality of life. 

After my presentation, a few others went to the podium to discuss similar reasoning against the cuts.  Mr. Simpson leaned over and asked to glance at my notes.  Figuring he might be able to use my information in his presentation, I gladly shared them with him in hopes of gaining additional support for our position. 

At the end of the meeting, Mr. Simpson introduced himself and handed me a card.  It read simply, “David Simpson for Texas State Representative District 7”.    Excited that I had someone’s ear that would actually be making the decisions in Austin, I prepared myself mentally to start stating the reasons we were against the cuts, but before I could start my mini-presentation, Mr. Simpson began asking me questions. 

Mr. Simpson spent several minutes listening to each answer before asking another question.  In the end, he told me that he had been in the timber business and was given the opportunity to serve by being elected.  He was clearly humbled by this opportunity.  He seemed to have a true desire to help not only the people in his district, but people everywhere.  He had heard about the proposed cuts and wanted to learn more since he would be facing these issues in Austin.   His final statement was perhaps the most promising, Mr. Simpson said, “I know that if I had a family member living in one of these homes, I would want to know they had the funding needed, so I felt like I needed to know about these homes to help me make a good decision for the people I represent.”

Since that time I have had the privilege of speaking with Mr. Simpson’s Chief of Staff on the phone several times, corresponding through email and we have meet face to face to discuss the cuts being proposed.   Mr. Simpson has made it clear that he wants to do what is best for people.  His proposed bills, protecting people from being touched inappropriately and without cause by airport security, even brought the threat from TSA that all flights in Texas would be cancelled should the bill go into law.  Can you imagine TSA canceling all flights in Texas just because Mr. Simpson wanted to protect children, the elderly, men and women from being groped by airline security without probable cause?  What can you tell your young daughter or son after spending time informing them that no one except a physician or nurse trying to help them should touch certain places and then an airline security person does it?  You can tell them it’s not right, they had no reason to suspect them of being a terrorist, and you can tell them that men like David Simpson are still fighting to protect them and all people.  It is time for more men and women like David Simpson to stand up and tell the federal government, “we do not work for you, you work for us and you will respect our rights.”  

Republican Representative David Simpson can be contacted at davidsimpson.com